View Single Post
      04-08-2020, 07:49 PM   #4
maupineda
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4MC

Not much progress today, but I did receive all the parts and tools, so I could check my timing, and I have to say the exhaust was slightly out, with the cams fully retarded, timing tool pin goes fine on the intake side but on the exhaust side it does not go through completely, I should be able to take care of that (I hope )

Now, one thing I can share here is that when removing the VANOS unit, the dowel pins make it very tough to pull out, I had to wrap in a cloth a 3/8 extension and use it to pry carefully, I advise to only loosen the 10mm bolts so that when the unit snaps off the dowel pins it does not pull too much on one side (undo the bolt to allow ~5mm), it happened to me as I had placed the long solenoid screws as guides and when the unit snapped I was fearing I may have bent something, good luck it is all fine!

Also, when pulling the unit off, the pressure regulator will interfere and won't allow pulling the VANOS unit out, the TIS mentions to use a set of pliers and snap it off the VANOS unit so you can just slide it out.

In the next photo, you can see how the pressure regulator is getting in the way

Name:  IMG_9948-2.jpg
Views: 1492
Size:  301.1 KB

Here you can see how I attached the pliers, I used shop towels to protect from scoring, this part does not slide or move in and out, and that section is just there hanging as a bridge, so scoring it is not a big deal as it does not cause a functional problem, this is why the TIS recommends using pliers, never the less, do everything possible to protect it, I also covered the area below in case it came loose and fall.

Name:  IMG_9949-2.jpg
Views: 1544
Size:  344.0 KB

After I pulled the regulator out, I used a tie strap to hold the pliers while I fish the unit out

Name:  IMG_9950-2.jpg
Views: 1592
Size:  428.7 KB

Then I could finally pull the VANOS out

The rest of the evening I basically spent time cleaning and removing the seals, my Besian kit has not arrived, but I have torn down and prepared the VANOS for reassembly with the new seals.

Tomorrow I will be doing the valve adjustment and then change the sprocket bolts and screws, and if I am lucky and the Besian Kit arrives then I can start the re-assembly of the car.

Last edited by maupineda; 04-08-2020 at 09:26 PM..
Appreciate 1
AK72286.00