gmd2003
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 CP M6 and 2006 VT 525 Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael9218 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipkiller View Post
Where do you get this value for a minimum temp?
My context is on track. For driving on the street, having moisture build up in your oil isn't as much an issue. Under high load, as in at the track, moisture in your oil can be a bearing killer. At the very least, you want your oil to be hot enough to boil out moisture. Call Redline tech support and they'll explain this to you. They have no problem with their oil being run at 300 F, but caution not to run hard under 212 F.

Too often you see people brag about the big oil cooler they installed and how proud they are that their oil now stays cool on track. This is bad. On cold days, I tape off airflow to my oil cooler.
My context in this thread was for track use in a supercharged S54 based on real world data logged experience lol. The stock cooling sure is not up to the task in a southern climate with a stock motor during hard track use much less making 500 hp . The viscosity for this application as temps approach 300 F is certainly not adequate no matter what oil you use . Also the BMW temp gauge is not the actual oil temp it's an calculated value , direct measurement showed a much higher temp on track, unfortunately this has been true on every bmw I've owned even a newer F series M6 . As an aside I've owned plenty of cars that are more track oriented stock and do not run 212 on the street and oil analysis has never shown water .... my V10 in the R8 runs 190's -200 after a 4 hour interstate drive in the summer . Your concerns of water and deposits are overblown in my opinion unless we are talking 180's peak oil temp . I ended up rebuilding the S54 to use a widened crank journal and wider bearings ala Lang racing to solve the problem of the narrow bearing and track oiling . Then used Motul 300 V 15/50 with great success problem solved for 20k track miles .
G
Appreciate 0