08-29-2017, 10:00 AM   #9
mattfwalters
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4MC (Sepang/Sepang/insane)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
That's one hell of a lot of work! Respect.

Are you glad you found out about the bearing particulars before you tried running the motor in? Annoying, but probably for the best.
Thanks! Yeah, I am incredibly glad. I actually asked the shop to measure how badly I'd gotten it by DIYing (and, to be clear, I did everything as close to correctly as possible per the FSM and ARP's instructions). The interesting thing to me is that according to the shop I used, anybody who has DIYed the rod bearings and doesn't own a bolt stretch gauge, didn't measure roundness of the rod big end with the new bearings / bolts, didn't appropriately clearance it, etc. is either really lucky or rapidly chewing through a set of rod bearings. The split-cap rods are apparently very strong, but virtually impossible to repeatably re-assemble perfectly due to the uneven rod-cap mating surfaces. I'd love to learn how to do all of the internals properly - but frankly, with the amount of money I have into this build, the labour to have it done by pro racing engine builders was rounding error, and then of course it led to... because racecar.
Appreciate 0