View Single Post
      06-28-2020, 12:41 AM   #34
filtercoffee
I like Coffee & Z4s.
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

Garage List
2007 BMW Z4MC  [0.00]
Update: I thought the rattle was gone but i think my exhaust was just masking it. I believe it to be the tranny vibrating similar to how it does at idle.

Additionally I noticed the vibration around 5k rpm especially on decel that some others have reported. I didn't notice it before because I don't often get up into those rpms.

Well, I had plenty of time so I decided to do a clutch/flywheel job on the floor to revert the car back to stock flywheel and clutch. Along the way I noted that the lightweight flywheel and aftermarket clutch were in perfectly fine condition, which was a bit disappointing. Now I've got my OEM luk dual mass flywheel, luk clutch/pressure plate, and wow what a difference.

The good:
1. Finally, I'm not afraid of low RPM. I can put my foot down at 1.5k RPM and not flinch! I don't have to downshift to 2nd when making a slow turn, I can keep it in 3rd. so great for street driving.
2. No vibration at any RPM. The 5k RPM rattle is gone.
3. While at a stop light i can rev the car 1-2k rpm to hear a nice exhaust growl, and there's no accompanying diesel/cement mixer sound (lightweight flywheel people will know what I'm talking about).
4. I really enjoy having that low-end torque from 1-3k RPM for street driving. It's not that the lightweight flywheel caused the car to lose torque, but the vibration/rattling made me avoid pushing the accelerator past a certain extent at those RPMs.

The bad:
1. I miss the instant throttle blips I could do before to downshift. Now it requires a little more time to blip the throttle and downshift. But i'm glad I had the experience of quick shifting with the lightweight flywheel.
2. Previously part of the car's character was that it always wanted you to accelerate and decelerate. Now the car is much more comfortable coasting. This is both good and bad.
3. Clutch engagement is not as crisp. I liked the previous grabby clutch. You knew exactly when it was engaged and disengaged. The stock clutch is very forgiving and it comes on much more gradually. The throw of the clutch pedal is much longer now as the bit point is closer to the floor.

For my use case (all street driving) stock makes more sense. The low-end drive-ability is not worth losing. Yeah I've lost some excitement but at least I got to experience what it was like for a bit. Having a heavy DMF is not as bad as I thought it would be, and I'm very happy to have it.

The 5k rpm vibration with the lightweight flywheel was also very concerning. If I were tracking the car, I would not feel comfortable staying at that RPM for long. No one seems to know for sure what causes it on the forums. Some e46 m3 people report having it, others like Vanne have no issues. Beats me.
Appreciate 1
wdb4732.00