2011.5 BMW M3  [10.00]
2004 BMW M3  [10.00]
Origins of BMW CS & CSL Models

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
BIMMERPOST NEWS
Origins of BMW CS & CSL Models
COMMENTS

With the introduction of the F82 M4 CS, the F80 M3 CS, and talk of possible future CS and CSL models, it's only fitting to take a brief stroll down memory lane to explore the origins of the CS and CSL badges.

The Ancestor to the 6 Series and 8 Series Coupes

The story begins with the BMW Neue Klasse (En: New Class) of the 1960s that brought about some pretty classy yet sporty coupes into BMW's portfolio.
The Neue Klasse Coupes, as they would be known collectively, had model designations such as BMW 2000 C and BMW 2000 CS, for example, where "C" = Coupe and "CS" = Coupe Sport, denoting the sportier version.

By the time the Neue Klasse Coupe was succeeded by the E9 Coupe, the 2800 CS had replaced both of the aforementioned badges and the new 3.0 CS and 3.0 CSi (where "i" = fuel injected) were introduced.

The 3.0 CSL & the Birth of BMW Motorsport GmbH

It was also around this time, that BMW began to set its sights on touring car racing.
A small racing department within BMW, which would later be incorporated as BMW Motorsport GmbH in 1972, looked to expertise from ALPINA, which was very successful in touring car racing at the time.
In comes the CSL.
Building onto the nomenclature, where there was a CS (Coupe Sport) model, this new race car would be dubbed the Coupe Sport Leicht, or CSL.
The birth of the CSL badge on the 3.0 CSL would be remembered as BMW Motorsport's first successful project where the 3.0 CSL is now often a synonymous, metaphorical reference to the birth of BMW M.

CSL = Coupe Sport Leicht (En: Coupe Sport Light[weight])

"C" is for Coupe

From this point forward, the "CSL" name would take a hiatus for several decades while in subsequent generations, the place occupied by the E9 Coupes would eventually evolve into the E24 6 Series Coupe (and later as the E31 8 Series Coupe) as BMW simplified its nomenclature (i.e., 02 -> E21 3 Series, Neue Klasse Sedans -> E12 5 Series, New Six/E3 -> E23 7 Series).
The traditional naming scheme (utilizing "C" for Coupe, "S" for Sport, "i" for fuel injection) would be retained in the suffix of the Coupe models, such as 635 CSi, 840 Ci, 850 CSi.

This naming system later extended to all two-door models, where BMW Coupes and Cabriolets of all shapes and sizes (incl. 3 Series Coupes/Cabriolets), continued to use the "C" suffix as a denotation of its body style (i.e., 330 Ci, 645 Ci) well into the mid-2000s.

CSL Reborn as a BMW M3

This status quo went on for a while, and then, after a long hiatus, the "CSL" moniker would be resurrected as a special model, the E46 M3 CSL in 2003.

After such a long absence, "CSL" had effectively become obscure in the memory of the mainstream, where the M Badge had effectively become the most coveted badge that had an instant prestige that carried BMW Motorsport's pedigree and fame with it, .
Of course, BMW intended to reserve "CSL" for special occasions henceforth and BMW sought to draw the connection of "CSL" between its new Motorsport division 3 Series product and the 3.0 CSL (a 6 Series predecessor).

CS Moniker Returns, Sort Of...

After a brief run of the M3 CSL, where it was widely successful with both press and enthusiasts, BMW found demand for some of the improvements found on the M3 CSL in a more accessible package.
The M3 with Competition Package (option code: ZCP) was introduced with improvements from the M3 CSL parts bin, such as a shorter steering ratio, larger rotor disks, M Track Mode, alcantara steering wheel, etc.
In the United Kingdom, the M3 equipped with ZCP was sold as the M3 CS (sans CS badge), but through this success, the "CS"/Coupe Sport name, for the first time, was applied to a BMW M3, albeit only on a quasi-official basis.

Reinterpretation of CS & CSL
While the CSL name hasn't made an official return since the E46 M3 CSL (subsequent special M3/4s were named GTS, CRT), in 2017, the CS name made its official debut/return on the BMW M4 CS and, shortly after, the BMW M3 CS was also introduced.

"C" for Competition?
With the F80 M3 CS, we see BMW apply the CS name to a 4-door sedan for the first time.
This time, the CS models are positioned above the Competition Package M3/M4 models, and below the theoretical M3/M4 CSL (which has yet to officially return).
It was natural to reinterpret the CS name, based on the current hierarchy, that CS no longer stands for Coupe Sport, but rather Competition Sport.

What to expect in the future?
It's safe to say that BMW was slowly establishing a hierarchy within its M model range with the F-chassis models.
With the G-chassis, I suspect this structure will be matured into a concrete hierarchy, where it will probably look as follows (using the 4 Series/M4 as an example):
  • 430i
  • 430i (w/ M Sport package)
  • M440i
  • M4
  • M4 Competition
  • M4 CS
  • M4 CSL

E9x M3 Press/Media Archives Thread | S65-based Racing Engines Thread
Appreciate 19
mkoesel7514.50
Artemis29405.50
Fakemike368.50