04-21-2019, 06:53 PM   #3
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azeka1 View Post
Great lap time at Thunderbolt! I assume that is without the Chicane? Here are some thoughts that come to mind after reading your post, hopefully some of it is helpful.

- This is really tough to assess without digging deep into your data traces; however, break down Thunderbolt into 3 or 4 solid sectors, then identify what your best lap would be if you strung your best sectors together. How far off was your best lap?

- Be careful with making adjustments to your settings with R888R tires at 40HCs. They are going to be more than a few seconds slower than when new.

- There is a new AI data acquisition tool that mounts to your dash called APEX PRO. Basically, by using a series of LEDs, it attempts to answer your exact question in real-time. I've seen some pretty good reviews on it and you might want to look into it further: https://apextrackcoach.com/

- You mentioned 'driving the school line'. You might want to check out some open track days with no-point-by passing. Driving off-line so frequently adds another challenge to train yourself on and helps teach you how to carry speed through corners in ways that normal DEs do not 'typically' allow.
Old post but forgot I had this video, not mine but friend lent me his APEX unit to mess around with. If you do buy, just remember probably better to keep it on your side of the car. Having it center requires you to use your peripheral which isn’t so easy.

Anyways video isn’t terribly exciting since not many folks wanted to drive in the wet but you can see how/what the APEX communicates at certain corners...

School line is the safe one that works for everyone. There’s certainly faster lines but keep in mind racers have a shit ton of aero so their line may not always work for u. I tried someone’s suggested line at Thunderbolt few years back and had a nice 4 off incident lol.

Dre 1:33 is pretty damn fast but I think you can find another 2-3 seconds before jumping to Hoosiers. Honestly, best way to learn is to ride shotgun with a faster driver and see what they’re doing. That’s how I always found out where I was dogging it lol.

Last edited by 3002 tii; 04-21-2019 at 08:05 PM..
Appreciate 0