View Single Post
      05-14-2018, 12:01 PM   #25
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
Can you run the monoball with the Z4M? I saw a E46M3 fitment a few weeks back but not the Z.
You can technically run whatever fits inside the lollipop if you'r using the stock lollipop, or even a custom monoball as long as it bolts up to the same stock points. What you lose is the offset in the bushing that creates additional caster in the steering, plus if you're lacking in tire clearance to rear of the fender, you may experience more rub.

They won't list the M3 product as a possible fitment for a couple of reasons. First, if the monoball uses BMW's factory lollipop, the M3 lollipop and the MZ4 lollipop are not compatible. However, I've NEVER seen a monoball use factory lollipops. They're usually custom build and constructed brackets. In that particular case, check and see if there's an additional bolt hole machined/drilled to accommodate the M3's reinforcement plate. Again, it's unlikely, but the E46 M3 LCAB has an additional mounting point for the factory reinforcement plate.

It appears Turner's monoball bushing does include that additional reinforcement plate mounting point. You can probably machine that part off and it'll fit the MZ4/Z4. If we're talking about the monball bushing by itself, it won't fit for sure.

I don't remember off the top of my head, but one or the other is a 60mm outer diameter and the other one is a 66mm outer diameter (okay, if I have to guess, the E46 M3 uses a 60mm bushing and the MZ4 uses a 66mm bushing).

There's actually a reasonable degree of likelihood the "kit" version that came with the M3 lollipop will fit without having to shave off the additional mounting point, as the reinforcement plate under the MZ4 is the same as the E46 M3. You might even be able to bolt the plate onto the lollipop to give it an extra secure location for some added stiffness.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 1
Finnegan707.00