Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
At the end of the day, do what you think it's best for your situation. Everyone has their own opinion about when rod bearings should or shouldn't be done, but they're not the one who has to write a check if and when your engine is blown. All the data out there doesn't mean much because it's NOT data from your particular engine. Mine was changed at 55k. Could I've gone another 10k? Probably. Would I want to take that risk? You already know the answer since it's been swapped out.

Note that only the early E92 M3 uses bearings made up of the same materials as our S54. The later E92 M3 no longer have lead in their bearings, so I don't know what they would look for in the oil analysis of those engines.

Like you, I was also skeptical that gas from different brands would make any difference, but I believe in my oil analysis results. So, take that with a grain of salt. My M54 X5 has been drinking mostly Costco gas for the past 50k miles or so without any issue...so I think since I don't do any oil analysis on it. Sometimes, ignorance is bliss?