12-08-2021, 04:41 PM   #21
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by maupineda View Post
^^^ yes, the frequency will be way off for what a balanced setup should be. The rear ideally should be quicker to settle after hitting a bump and because where the spring is relative to the damper, it needs to be about 80% more than the front to be a tad stiffer so the damper is settled in sync with the front axle.

That is why the OE setup is ~220 and rears ~440, though the rears are progressive, but in the 2in of bump travel that matter, that is around the number.

To make it stiffer (don’t know why one want that) and to keep the same balance you see where the rear would need to be.

I went from similar rates that came with the H&R coils to 225 and 600 and the car is very balance, still too stiff for my liking but very poised and balanced and you do feel how both axles go in harmony. Though my stiffness is now due to the shock valving which I cannot do much about unless I have custom job done, but it is fine as is and much better than what I had before

I tried
500/500
350/500 (estimated for the H&R based on e46 setups)
250/600 (liner Swift and TCK springs)

If I chose again, it would be 225/500
So you’re admittedly making a relative comparison based on the factory progressive springs? Not sure how well that translates to linear spring recommendations.

I’ve run few different combos myself between my AST and TCKs on my previous 3.0si and now the above on the M, and 375/450 is very comfortable for everyday. I don’t have any issues with settling over low speed bumps. If anything I found tire choice and size had more of an impact on how the car behaves over uneven roads (for my current setup). I noticed this when switching to my winter tires.