View Single Post
      02-20-2020, 09:49 AM   #7
Roadroach
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0si coupe w/stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by deemo319 View Post
BMW AG went to partner ZF to develop a 6-Speed manual transmission for the Z4/Supra. It was planned for a later release with the smaller engine you alluded to.

It will arrive later this year in the Supra (Z4 Coupe) but I would think it won't in the Z4 Roadster. Which is an absolute shame if you ask us.
I remember seeing those spy shots 2 (3 maybe?) years ago when the first info started trickling out about the new Z4/Supra.

And I was hopeful.

Then they released the new Z4 and Supra with no manual. But I realized that while the Z4 was released in both 3.0i and M40i flavors (with no MT), the Supra was only out with the B58. I knew that the B48 was in the pipeline - and I convinced myself that if ANY of the NA market Z4 or Supra versions would have the MT, it would probably be the lower tier Supra.

So I was still hopeful.

But then came the news that, yes indeed, Toyota was officially bringing the turbo 4 version of the Supra to the NA market - but, still no MT.

WTF Toyota? Really?

Their story was that the "take rate" for the MT wouldn't justify the certification cost. That was the rationale behind not offering the MT with the big motor. And they've said the small motor Supra will probably only account for 20% of all the Supras. How could they justify offering both transmissions in the model which would account for only 20% of their sales if "take rate" was the reason for not offering it in the main seller? If anything, the small motor Supra should have been MT only - that would be the only way to justify the development/certification of the MT.

Yes, I know they worked with ZF to develop a MT. That doesn't mean it's coming HERE. At this point, I'm sick of the rumors and supposition regarding either BMW or Toyota offering a MT in their cars. I'll believe it when I see it.
2014 981 Cayman S manual
Appreciate 0