03-06-2016, 07:27 PM   #2
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

Doing Up the Nuts and Bolts

Can any shop be trusted?
Not to rip on Lang, since they seem to have done a good job on the big ends, and Andrew seems like a nice knowledgeable guy, but ...

The first thing I noticed was that they reused the front reinforcement plate bolts, because they all had the Sharpie marks that I used to do the 90° final twist.

And then when I went to remove the VT mounts I found what was probably the source of the vibration I had ever since getting it back.
There was some shmuts on the left side top nut. Looked like some Monkey Grip or something they used to hold the nut in the socket.
I stuck my index finger in there to brush it away, and the nut spun with the slightest touch. It was less than finger tight.

But they made up for it on the right side. The top nut was so tight I had to hammer it off with an impact wrench.
And not just a little. Had to set my wrench to max torque and turn the air up to 100 psi and let it bang for about 15-20 seconds before it finally popped loose.

Not sure why they took the top nuts off instead of the bottoms.
Vanne posted a pic of his big ends being done and you can see his mounts dangling from the block.
Seemed like the obvious choice.

Last edited by StickMon; 07-28-2017 at 03:10 AM..
Appreciate 0