11-01-2018, 10:27 PM   #19
koruptor
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 3.0si Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
I had a BMW CP600 in my original Z4MC. It was pretty cool - connected to the CD changer cable, supports an SD card, similar navigating & display to the Grom unit. But it didn't SOUND good. MP3 tracks played via the CD player sounded very noticeably better at the same bitrate than what came through the CP600. This is the little bugger I'm talking about...

https://www.maintronic.de/en/shop/cp...d-karte-detail

Anyways.. my "new" Z4MC will be here soon and I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to do for tunes. My preference is just to load up a USB stick and slap it in the boot next to a Grom and be done with it. So my question for you guys who have a Grom - how does the USB output sound? Is it equally clean & clear as what you get from the CD player?
I'm no audiophile, but USB and Bluetooth output sounds fine. CD definitely sounds better and more crisp, but only slightly more. I've never had any complaints about the sound quality on the GROM. Sorry I can't be more descriptive than that.

One thing I'd recommend is if you must play music via USB, put it on a media player like an iPod or MP3 player. The reason is that organizing and navigating a USB flash drive full of music is cumbersome. If there's a playlist or a song you have to play, it's easier to find it on your device than to use the GROM's built-in file navigation via CD changer "discs" (see page 12 of the manual here and you'll know what I mean).