VChenz
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 Base

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post
Extremely sad.

The thing I always wonder when I see videos like this is; why on earth do they have children. I mean, if you can't feed yourself, and can barely live, why bring a child into this world under those conditions?

I just don't understand it.
1. lack of education - what you know about family planning is what you have learnt growing up, consuming information. Now imagine growing up with no access to education, library, internet, tv, etc.

2. underemployment/no employment coupled with no other forms of entertainment leave people with very little to nothing to do so they are home essentially doing nothing (See point 1 above)

3. cultural norms - in almost every culture, having children is a milestone in one's life. More children = greater chance of keeping the family name alive. Lots of old traditions and no understanding of how others live.

4. poverty is so bad that you need several people working full time in one household just to survive. Sure food costs increase incrementally per person but things like firewood, rent, etc. are fixed per household.

5. no access to condoms/birth control/sterilization

There was documentary that my gf saw where a group westerns spent a month living in a poor village that was far from any major city in some third world country. They spoke with the kids and asked them what they wanted to be when they grew up...the kids looked confused and responded they were going to be farmers - they didn't know of any other occupations.

we will never experience that level of poverty in a first world country - here you can be homeless but still have access to services, shelters, etc. You can even beg for money to help get by. In poor countries, none of that exists. You're on your own.
Appreciate 2