06-05-2017, 11:35 AM   #18
ncnmra
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
All other electrics are protected by fuses, so if there's physical damage to another component which would cause a short, its fuse protected so the fuse blows.

HOWEVER: the alternator and starter are NOT!
So physical damage to those causing a short would start a fire or battery explosion. Thats the reason for this device, so its function makes perfect sense from an engineering pov.
Point very well taken, and as an EE I'm embarrassed that it didn't cross my mind. Regardless, I'm pissed off that it went without provocation, and that a replacement is going to cost me a fortune. I agree that I won't screw around with trying to bypass it.

I have asked the mechanic to test the alternator. I am concerned that blowing this thing may be because of a failing other component. I did change the battery out last year.

Can anyone confirm: there is no "coding" required on these vehicles if the battery is changed? I'm pretty sure I researched that issue to death before switching out the battery, but I want to ensure that the battery isn't being overcharged or something which could have cause this thing to blow.

UPDATE: I have ordered PN 61127841239 from the local BMW dealership through the mechanic. $318 CAD+tax. Mechanic tells me that it calls for 2h of labor. Apparently you need to lift the car up and unbolt a bunch of frame bolts to get to the bloody nut that holds the positive terminal to the floor of the vehicle.

I want to have the codes scanned first in case there is something there that may indicate why the bloody thing fired in the first place.

UPDATE 2: I brought the car home because the parts need to come from Germany and will take over a week. I can confirm 100% that the BST (sometimes referred to as SBK - Safety Battery Terminal) has deployed. Manually reassembling it allowed the car to start like normal, with only the airbag light on as expected since the BST module is toast. I drove the car home on a booster.

Last edited by ncnmra; 06-05-2017 at 11:14 PM..
Appreciate 0