06-05-2017, 08:36 AM   #15
ncnmra
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
All of what you found makes sense. I also think like any other fuse, it blowing after many years is likely not to mean anything. If I were in your shoes I would try to replace this "fuse" with a cable without the fuse, I see it unlikely to make any difference, I don't believe most cars come with it and another problem area to cause your car to not run.
My gut feeling is to agree. BMW charges some astronomical fee for this "BST Cable", which IMHO is pointless. If it doesn't disconnect ALL of the electrics from the car then it is worthless.

To me, this safety feature actually caused a safety hazard. Fortunately it was a warm day and nothing happened, but a breakdown in the middle of NOWHERE due to a failure of a "safety" feature is the definition of irony.

It is at the mechanic's shop now and he will get back to me with options. I will do my own research as to any detriments of bypassing the whole thing. I know for one thing that you need to install a resistor to simulate the BST module otherwise the airbag light will remain lit.

EDIT: Here is a good cross section showing how the thing works. My mechanic will check if it actually "blew", but I'm thinking the "pop" I heard was exactly that. Again, no potholes, no collision, no impact, in fact the car wasn't even moving.

Last edited by ncnmra; 06-05-2017 at 09:33 AM..
Appreciate 1
XMetal1131.00