Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainfall View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
The APR software gives that motor more power than a stock GTI and speeds up the lazy DSG quite a bit too. You can even get an APR powertrain warranty with the extra cost Plus tune. The various EA888 motors are impressively solid.

Of course the GLI takes the same tune as the GTI and adds 100 lb/ft over stock.
wow, that's impressive. I just looked up the warranty thing and it's really good. Warranty costs $1099 + tune, so I think it's a good way to get some peace of mind.

Also, 292 hp and an extra 334 lb-ft in a GTI motor would be awesome - I hope they extend this to the GLI as well.

Ok, so I guess this means the GLI is back on my radar. I'm not a tune guy at all as my 2-series is bone stock, but I just felt either the DSG was too lazy or the motor wasn't pushing quick enough in the low end - even in sport mode.
The tune also helps the DSG shift speed, and I think launch rpm. I have a manual, so they offer a low torque setting for the stock clutch. The DSG seems to be stronger, so you can run full torque.

It's a fun tune, especially from a roll. It's easy to pick on Teslas at highway speed now and lag is slightly better and mpg are actually up a little too.

I'd still highly recommend a GTI over the Jetta though. Plaid seats alone sealed it for me.
Appreciate 0