View Single Post
      03-17-2019, 01:52 PM   #2
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

I've owned both.

In my opinion the 3.0si needs a limited slip rear differential to be a really good 7/10ths car. I didn't mind the electric steering and it sounds like you didn't either. The N52 is indeed a peach, especially in 255HP 3.0si trim. It revs gleefully all the way to redline, seemingly pulling harder the whole way up the tachometer. It also sheds about 200lbs. from the front end of the car compared to the S54, which makes the hustling the 3.0si through turns a noticeably different experience compared to the M car. The 3.0si is a very satisfying 'tosser'. If only it had a LSD...

I had M Sport suspension and seats, highly recommended.

The M Coupe is always going to be the more desirable, collectible, car, just because it's an M. In terms of driving experience it's more visceral, more in your face about its capabilities, more demanding. It just wants to GO, all the time. The 3.0si is happy doodling around town; the M grumbles under its breath. But when GO time does come, there is something to be said for the M's greater torque and power, that legendary S54, the sublime steering, and the rear end that puts the power down so well on corner exits. The nose may not cut in quite as quickly as the 3.0si but it is still very, very responsive. And there is always the gas pedal to liven things up. No question about it, the M is a very satisfying driver's car.

I really, really liked both cars. I kept the M. I would not have a harsh word to say to anyone who chose the 3.0si instead. In fact I'd fully understand.

Good luck with your decision!
Appreciate 1
baege1331.00