03-15-2019, 07:51 PM   #1
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT

Garage List
One car garage: for Z4MR or 911?

I have a small one car garage in addition to an outside parking space for one car to split between my 2008 128i and 2006 Z4MR. In winter the Z4MR is stored away offsite freeing up the garage for the 128i but in the summer the Z4MR is always in my one car garage to keep it locked up safe and away from the elements while the 128i stays outside.

Seriously thinking of adding a 991.1 Carrera 4S to the stable which I plan to take out in winter on good weather days. Plan to store it in the garage on winter rubber while the Z4MR is stored elsewhere and again leave the 128i outside. Simple solution.

Summer is not so simple. 128i will be parked on the street or offsite. I don't like having the Z4MR outside in the parking spot unnecessarily with the top exposed to the elements while parked. Just my thing. At the same time my neighbourhood is a transit between a couple bad neighbourhoods and there are some unsavory types wandering around at night. A little nervous about leaving the 991.1 outside unprotected at night, afraid it might become a target for vandalism one of these days. Maybe irrational, maybe not.

What would you guys do in this situation? Was thinking of leaving the C4S in the garage and getting a rain proof cover to put on the Z4MR while it is parked outside. Worried a bit to put the cover on if we're coming back in the rain and the top is already wet (it'll just hold all the water in). Suppose I could swap the cars around in that case til the top is dry and rain has stopped.

Moving to a bigger house isn't practical (don't really want to have a mortgage again and more property taxes/maintenance). Garage isn't tall enough for a lift. Am I overthinking this?

Last edited by Lucky1; 03-15-2019 at 07:58 PM..
Appreciate 0