View Single Post
      06-14-2020, 11:57 PM   #11
proboner
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 3.0 6-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaberti View Post
Straightline performance isn't really the M's party piece, like you mentioned; it's that induction howl on your favorite backroad when it's screaming over 4K. That's where all the torque is, you have to rev it out. While it does have *just* enough torque down low it's less than your engine in the midrange.

I would actually recommend you look into the E89 Z4, you'll not find torque lacking and it's objectively a better daily/GT. Can usually find them in or under your budget. I'm fuzzy on the model designations but I think the 35is is the twin turbo dual clutch, but the 30i and 35i were single turbo with manual options on early models. Someone will chime in on how close I was, or you can swing by the E89 side of zpost.

Alternatively, Z4s regularly live past 150K miles so you're hardly in the danger zone, might just hold on to yours a bit longer unless you really feel it's time for a change.
I'm deep into research on the e89. The 35is has an n54 but only comes with DCT. The 35i is also n54 and comes with a manual, however they're very rare. There are like 5 for sale in the US right now. Lot's of people like to post theirs up as being a manual when they're actually DCTs.

There's a pretty nicely modified 35i manual for sale near me right now but it's red, which is a color I refuse to own. Tried to go drive it this weekend (had to drive 2 hours to get there) and they had the damn thing sitting in the show room with no realistic way to get it out. Plus the sales guy was a giant tool "Can you afford this car? Will you buy it today? How are you paying? How's your credit? Did you bring a pay stub?". Um no, I'm never buying anything from you sir.
Appreciate 2