Not a New Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: with both hands and both feet

Garage List
2007 ///M Coupé  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by txz4 View Post
Please post full review along with video!
it needs to stop freakin' raining. it's maddening! short review is... do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punko View Post
Did you ever consider just wrapping the perforated sections of pipe in header wrap or aluminum tape of some kind?

Perhaps that would increase the volume without changing high pressure and low pressure areas designed to eliminate resonance?

Can't wait to hear them rumble, good job.
no, as I wanted a straight-through solution. the reason for using the stock cans at all is for the low frequencies. an internal wrap would likely reduce the effective volume in the chamber. also, keep in mind that the fiber packing inside the muffler is very, very tight. the pressure change you're talking about is there, but likely created by the actual bends in the pipe, not by the perforated sections which are there to permit the transmission of sound waves.

I can assure you... there is ZERO rasp or drone from this specific mod. low RPM's under load have a much deeper tone. high RPM's have the same tone as stock. overall the system is maybe 10-20% louder than stock.

remember, a 100% increase in volume is 3db. my review will be very similar to what was used in last year's exhaustfest... camera at correct height and distance. db meter on correct weighting. replicated procedure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beta View Post
Did you pack them with the original material or steel wool? Also waiting for a video, as I really just want about 10% louder and deeper sound without adding rasp or drone, this seems like the best solution for that goal so far.
I used the OE packing. after disassembling them, the fiber inside was mostly pure white, with the exception of localized areas at the bends of the inner piping where it was carbon soaked, and at the very bottom of the muffler where standing water had colored it with rust. I see no reason to spend money on different packing.

the fiber is critical for resonance control! if you do this mod (and you should) make sure to put ALL of if it back in there.
#1498E86 | Sepang Bronze | Dark Sepang Leather | Carbon Leather Trim
Appreciate 0