View Single Post
      08-05-2017, 03:58 AM   #11
dc_wright
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z43.0si Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre99gsx View Post

The theory about bucket seats without a roll bar is that during a roll over, you don't have the reclining seat's ability to "break" and tilt itself, giving your head some room before hitting the roof. On my car in particular, there is NO room for the seat to recline due to the rear bulkhead - thus I don't even think I get the benefit of reclining to save my head.

Having said that, wouldn't running fixed bucket seats without a roll bar work just as well (I'm talking rollover concerns, not any other safety concerns such as 3-pt harness use). I've been able to insert stock 3-pt harness through the right side access hole on the Z, thus it can work.

Ultimately, I need to find a way to secure myself into the seat better than with these M-seats.
I've never seen anything where the tilting seat back is supposed to "break" as you described. If it did that would negate the ability of the pretensioner for the 3 point OEM system to tighten the belt to hold you in place.
If anything there's a move to further strengthen the seat backs to ensure they don't break in an accident. The issue with "race seats" and the 3 point belt is the race seat changes the angles of the belt, potentially keeping it from securing you enough when the pretensioner fires. Instead of the shoulder strap catching your shoulder, as it would in the OEM seat, the side bolsters that project forward in the race seat cause the belt to slide down the side of the seat if the belt has just been put on over the outer perimeter of the seat. If you were able to route the OEM belt through one of the holes in the seat for the 4/5 point harness and maintained the OEM angles then it might still work close to as intended. You'll still have the issue of the belt not holding you securely in the seat during normal driving, so the CG Lock is still probably going to be needed. I use one and it works pretty well for at least keeping your butt from sliding around.