Drives: E85

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveChao View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveChao View Post
Hi All!

I am planning of joining the Z4 community as a newbie. I have begun my journey already with searching aimlessly through the forums, posts, and car listings to see which 2003-2008 Z4 would fit me best.

I am currently stuck on two cars:

1st Car: 2005 Z4 3.0 Roadster $11,250
Immaculate condition, AC Schnitzel rims, ECU tuning by Turner, Hikari LED's, dinan intake, differential gear ratio 3.23 to 3.73 for more torque, m front and rear bumpers, M sport bucket seats. This car is in CA and I'm in NY, i wouldnt be able to test drive it so i can only go by papers and the documents provided, and it seems like it was well maintained on carfax, no accidents. ODO is 96,000 miles (Private seller)

2nd Car: 2005 Z4 3.0 Roadster $13,100
Great condition, usual stock items you would see on a roadster, maintenance was done and car is great. ODO is 65000 miles, no accidents either and carfax is good. However, this car is in Boston which is a 3 hr drive and I can personally test drive it. (Dealer)

I am stuck between these two or in general, the 1st option against any other new listing that pops up from now. I want to be able to customize it and maintain it myself but since the option is available, I wanted to get some opinions from seasoned experts or at least a consensus.
Should the option of test driving be the make or break option? Does the high mileage of the first option cause discomfort? Am I able to take off from work to do this? (probably not)

Thanks ZPost!
In general, when buying any car new or used, have a clear head and use your gut. Don't let excitement get the best of you. Have you driven one before? My first dream car was a trans am, the romance was over after actually driving one lol. I'm biased for loving my Z4 so I wouldn't think you could go wrong, but if you've not driven a E85 you might not be able to tolerate where the soft top blocks your view at your head when up. All mirrors can adjust so no real blind spot when using mirrors correctly but it's a spot when the Mrs drives it that drives her up the wall.

That said don't be afraid of the mileage listed. I'm at 108k have had the car since 64k and for 10 years. If you're not able to test drive request as many pics/videos and even Skype/zoom/FaceTime how ever you can to get as much "live" time virtually with the car as you can. I bought mine from a dealer out of state without driving it. Make sure to dot your I's cross your T's just as if you were there. There's plenty of things to look for with any car, easy start is to search for common wear/tear areas and simple things that should be done at what ever given mileage you're looking at. For example try to get underneath shots, wear suspension areas, look into basic item replacements like disa, vanos upgrades, look for leaky valve cover gasket, oil filter housing gasket, remember basic car buying stuff. Listen closely to the engine running from every angle possible. If you see things on the car missing or hear something odd or the seller being less than accommodating walk away.

As far as choosing one over the other, all up to you. Do you want blank canvas with low miles or some bits done you don't have to spend on with higher miles? For private seller check on any/all receipts for added stuff that doesn't make it to carfax. See if they happen to be on here and if there's logs of history you can get from the car from them posting on boards about their car/build. I have a huge file compiled over the years of work that will never be on carfax so the more dialogue with the private seller owner the more you can learn about the cars history. Make your decision based on how confident you are from there about each cars integrity. Both from how you describe sound like solid interests.
I'm definitely going to test drive it then. I can only imagine if I were pay top dollar and then I hate the car. I'll wait it out for a bit longer and see if there are more options that pop up. I feel like maybe my emotions almost got the best of me.
My gf would love to sit in one with my puppy down a mountainside, I guarantee it. Although I am around 6 ft tall so I hope it won't hinder my driving comfortability.
I'm 6' as well, you'll have no problem with room unless you start tracking it. Stock seats probably won't let your helmet clear the broomstick test. A must for convertibles.

Besides that the first Z4 I ever drove it was a joy from the start. At first backing up you need to get use to not being able to see behind your left shoulder. That's why basic mirror position is a must. Easy when tops down. I didn't buy the first I drove. Was an 08 si and sold before I could get my car back for trade. Lucky cause next day found out the place my wife worked at was going belly up. So a Z4 wasn't out of the question just had to change the details on it. I drove 3 others before deciding to buy mine, never driving it until it was delivered from the dealer I got it from. Just like you I joined the boards (z4-forum) from the beginning of my search so you are quite wise welcome aboard
Appreciate 0