Looking for a track car
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi wagon

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post

The components (Aeroturbine, Borla) are off the shelf and readily available. Aeroturbine plain cans are ~99 dollars each, and ~110 for the resonated version. Throw in some SS steel pipe, or some off the shelf dual or single tips, and it's a pretty nice setup (like this one) and still around 350 - 400 in parts. With some fabrication, and we're talking around 600 - 650 dollars in parts and labor.

Some here have already built their own systems (Jim's was done a couple of years back by the prior owner of his car) for around that price, and my shop quoted me about the same. Sure, you'll have to hack into the stock X-pipe, but that's not a big deal.
Interesting this has come full circle back to a simplistic system. L&M out the door was $515 just less than 2 years ago for the setup on Jim's car. That's with custom bent stainless steel piping. For an extra $100 we could have built a coupling to match the stock muffler connection and it would have then been a bolt-on with the ability to re-install the factory setup at resale but I wasn't interested. Getting the piping dipped, etc. is a useless expense with zero return. The only thing that visually matters are the tips. Not sure why so much R&D (1+ years?) went into all the periperal portions of this system. As a hobby for a uber rich Dude? Maybe, but I'll never spend more than a reasonable fee for work done. Just my 2 cents and not bashing the new system, just not getting the pricing.