View Single Post
      07-20-2012, 01:31 PM   #1
james33
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 Lotus Evora

Warranty work denied because of painted brake calipers

My wife's 2008 M Coupe warranty was ending due to time (4 years in July of 2012). Her car had 34,570 or so miles on it. I took it in to Roadshow BMW in Cordova, TN to have a final once over to make sure nothing needed to be done before the warranty expired. This was on the 11th or 12th of July.

They looked the car over and repaired a sticky volume control button on the steering wheel and replaced the trunk latch mechanism under warranty. They also checked brakes (as is noted on the work order/receipt I got). The car got a clean bill of health and I was sent on my way. Brakes were working perfectly before taking it in – I have never had any issues mechanically with the car.

I drive the car home and when I pull into the garage the left front brake is smoking. The wheel is so hot I can’t touch it. I noticed no pulling or anything strange on the way home.
I take the car back the next morning. They look at it and call me to tell me they need to replace the caliper (and rotor, pads, etc) but can't do it under warranty because there is paint on the caliper.

Calipers were painted when we bought the car (used from a dealer in NJ). Calipers/brakes have never been off the car to my knowledge as it's never required new pads or any work.

I met with the service manager at Roadshow and he states he cannot warranty it so I call BMWNA Customer relations and they say the same thing. So I ask for her manager and get a call Monday July 16.

Elizabeth from customer care calls me back on Monday July 16 and we go around in circles yet again. She stated that it could be several days before a decision was made - something about going through several departments/channels??? I explained my side of the case, the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, and that I was a loyal BMW owner with 3 cars currently.

As of this week the M coupe is no longer under warranty (it expired the 16th or so). I'm now waiting to see what happens - the car is still at Roadshow BMW. This is absolute absurdity - paint on a caliper would no more cause it to fail than a coating of dirt or a sticker.

Any advice, people to contact, letters to write, etc. would be most appreciated!
Thanks
James
Appreciate 0