05-16-2018, 01:23 PM   #706
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 M3C xDrive; '13 e92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatsleepboost View Post
Hi guys. I am new to high end watches as I have had only cheap ones in the past. I am getting married this summer and it's tradition in my girls culture for her parents to buy me a jewelry gift. She explained to them I would prefer a watch over a ring or necklace etc. They now have told me they want to buy me a Rolex. They didn't give me a price limit and sent me images of 2 they found at the store that are priced at 12.6k and 15k to give you an idea.

I am a 30 year old mechanic. It will be a watch for occasional weekend use but mainly formal events. Some opinions about what I should look into would be appreciated. I am starting my search now on their website.

After reading a bit about their selection I believe I would prefer a Daytona since it was created for car racing which peaks my interest much more than something like a yacht master.
The Daytona is a wonderful watch. Sadly, even though Rolex says it is 'available,' if you walk into an Authorized Dealer and ask for one they will either put you on a waiting list for a year or so, or point you somewhere where you will pay at least 30% mark-up.

I definitely want one in the future, but I went with an Omega Speedmaster to hold off my chronograph needs!

I would also look into the new Baselworld watches (new GMT, etc), but also be prepared to wait a bit.

Do you know if your fiance's family has a relationship with a Rolex dealer? If they do it will be MUCH easier

Just my 2 cents.
2023 G80 M3 Competition xDrive Isle of Man Green on Kyalami Orange full leather - 826M black wheels - Carbon Fiber Trim - Carbon Bucket Seats - Executive/Driving Assist/Parking Packages - Laserlight - M Shadowline Lights - M Drive Pro - CS Trans/Diff/Steering Coding
2013 E92 M3 Mineral White on Bamboo Beige noviello leather (Base w/ Nav, Comfort Access, Lighting Pack) - DINAN Stage 1 and Free Flow Axle-Back Exhaust
Appreciate 0