View Single Post
      07-13-2011, 04:24 PM   #14
Claymore
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCz04Bimmer View Post
True story. The Glen is my favorite track and where I have most of my experience. I think I'm coming up on 30 days, actually!

One thing about gears up there. As you get faster through The Esses, you will need to shift to 5th as you approach the Bus Stop's braking zone. But unlike some, I find a shifting to 4th is ideal for the Bus Stop, Outer Loop combination. Going down to 3rd makes the car a bit skittish and you have to be very smooth with your throttle or you'll upset the balance and swap ends in the Outer Loop.

I ride 4th all the way to the Toe where I go to 3rd. Short shift it into 4th AFTER the car settles/crests the hill and stay in 4th all the way around. Occasionally, I'll jump down to 3rd for Turn 12 if I want to get around someone in the front straight.

I'll be up there in September. You going again?
Probably won't be back until next year. I'll be running at VIR and possibly NJMP the rest of the season.

With regards to gear selection, I have it in fourth all they way up the esses and into the Bus Stop (back straight speed about 125 until the braking zone, then about 75 at the entry). I use third at the turn-in in the Chute, then up to fourth briefly until the Toe, then third until the track-out there. Back into fourth running up to turn 9, then third through the apex and up the hill into turn 10, fourth coming across the bridge and back on to the straight. Sometimes I'll drop it to third on turn 11 so I can get some power into the straight.
Appreciate 0