05-20-2019, 01:24 AM   #81
mattfwalters
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4MC (Sepang/Sepang/insane)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav3 View Post
I'm a bit stuck on this with my research.

I'd arguably even avoid an engine tune if possible, perhaps through some form of bypass.

Which tune works without flaws is a bit nebulous. Would love to hear someone with some solid knowledge about what would work chime in!
Epic and Evolve both have tunes that are fully functional these days. Probably others as well. The heel/toe issue with Evolve's Z4M Alpha-N tunes was resolved a couple of years ago.

You can't run a CSL-style airbox without a tune. There are carbon airboxes that have accommodations for a MAF sensor, which you could use without a tune, but the reason that CSL-style airboxes make so much more power is that they don't have the airflow restriction of the MAF sensor. When you delete the MAF sensor to increase airflow, the ECU no longer has a way to measure airflow, so you need to change the way the ECU calculates the amount of fuel to inject.

There are a collection of ways to do this, but they all boil down to "assume some volume of air based on a measured understanding of this specific engine's efficiency given current conditions". Alpha-N (throttle position vs. RPM) is one of the methods of taking these assumptions and turning them into injected fuel, and it happens to be the one that our ECUs use in limp-home mode (and the one that the M3 CSL uses from the factory, for the same reason that Epic and Evolve use it: the firmware's already there and it doesn't use a MAF sensor).

So, bottom line: if you want to run a MAFless airbox for the noise / power, you need to run a MAFless tune. If you don't want to run a MAFless tune, you need a MAF sensor. So pick your airbox, and if you're going MAFless, pick the tuner that is more convenient for you / the dyno operator you're working withh.
Appreciate 2
Dav3948.50
David701567.00