Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Black Sapphire Z4MR

Garage List
2014 BMW X5  [0.00]
2011 Scion tC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3002 tii View Post
That’s definitely not the norm. CCA won’t even allow Z4 roadsters in stock trim. National policy is all verts (even those equipped with factory rollhoops) require roll bars and hard tops. NASA and PCA will allow verts but any harness needs to be equipped with rollbar unless you’re using Quickfits with factory seats and even that’s not a guarantee. But at least in that scenario you still have the option of running your stock belts.

As for smaller organizations (advanced only or open track days), I’ve actually found the rules to be even more strict. Not saying the above is absolute but in the northeast it’s usually more often the case you’d fail tech if you showed up with 5/6 points and harness bar only. Auto-x is an entirely different story...
Oh I am not saying that its the right way, but there are also track organizers who are more about $$$ than safety, and ultimately that will bore organizers who would just have you sign your name down and shake themselves of all responsiblities by offering a far lower price, which on paper at least, they aren't wrong. Hell I used to run and help with a group like that (I get in for free, so don't judge me).

Sadly with the Z4MR, it leaves many of us with very few options for safety, only reliance I have is to just run stock belts and believe BMW did their testing to ensure that if a tire fails on the track, I'll still be in one piece and the stock bar will hold me up long enough for me to crawl out.

I stand by my view though, with any car the owner wants to make safe for track, do it all, or do none at all.

I will return to the track, one day.
Appreciate 0