04-18-2019, 10:20 PM   #33
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricVR4 View Post
Oh absolutely, I can understand all of that haha. It's definitely not a tourist town in the sense of scenery and weather, but it's a great place to live/work/have fun because of the cost of living and massive diversity of people/food.

Downtown has changed a lot in the last decade or two as well. It used to have a lot of shopping but now it's mostly just offices and bars/restaurants. The shopping is spread out in other locations (much like the rest of Houston is haha). The big shopping areas inside or around the loop (610) are the Galleria, Upper Kirby, River Oaks, Highland Village, Memorial City, and Rice Village/West University.

The city itself is also very spread out with pockets of "downtowns" so-to-speak. There's the actual Downtown, Galleria, Uptown, Greenspoint, Greenway Plaza, Upper Kirby, Memorial City, Energy Corridor, Midtown, Westchase, and the Medical Center....all of which house a lot of office buildings and various other things.

Glad you were at least able to explore a few things though! If you ever end up back here and need a tour guide for more stuff, let me know!
Thanks so much you are too kind lol.

You make a good point about how spread out everything is. I really only scratched the surface. Houston's city limits seem to go on forever and a lot of the neighborhoods feel quite suburban.

I did drive around the Medical Center too. Being in the medical field I wanted to see the massive campus. It didn't disappoint.

The weather cleared up beautifully after a bad morning. Galveston really came alive in the evening.
Appreciate 1
EricVR4603.50