View Single Post
      04-07-2019, 10:42 PM   #35
filtercoffee
I like Coffee & Z4s.
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

Garage List
2007 BMW Z4MC  [0.00]
I started working on it today using Jack's method of removing the aluminum C channel, thinking it would easy. I was surprised to find that even with good instructions, it's a massive PITA any which way you do it. Mainly my weather stripping was in very tightly, and j had to pull really hard to get it out. Then, getting the c-channel out was not easy due to the aluminum clips gripping it pretty good. Then once I did all that, the motor would not come out due to it being cable tied really deep into the hole. I had to use my phone's camera with flash on, while simultaneously sticking needle nose pliers in the hole, exactly like laparoscopic surgery. Finally when you think the motor should come out, it still doesn't!!! I used my excellent camera to find that I needed to wiggle the housing in a certain way. After a lot of wiggling, the darn thing came out, but it's still attached to all it's cables and lines so you can't pull it out 100%. I used a flat head screwdriver driver to pry open the motor housing and sure enough, filled with rusty water. This took me all day with plenty of breaks.

Honestly I wonder if removing the whole roof might've been easier. But I've heard that's a major pita as well, and potentially more risky. For the first time I actually wish I paid the money to get this fixed 😂 what held me back was that I wanted to see the state of the motor to know how it broke, I wanted to see and clean the drains, and I wanted it to be relocated to the trunk, not sure if the dealership would do all that. And I hate going to the dealership, can't trust em.

Next step is going to be testing the motor to see if she'll work once dry. I'm skeptical but also hopeful. If I can't get it to work again, I'll order the replacement mustang motor, saw one on eBay. They're surprisingly hard to find, given how cheap they are.

I'm super thankful to the Z4 community for posting so many guides and videos. I'm happy to answer any questions via PM if anyone is going through the same thing and needs help.
Appreciate 1
StickMon636.00