View Single Post
      10-01-2018, 08:24 AM   #1
dre99gsx
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1994 Toyota Supra

Where is the maximum grip level of our cars

This is too generic of a question, but I found myself presumably at the very limit of my setup this past weekend at Thunderbolt. I beat my best time 1:33.9 , and my setup is nothing special (beside the extra horsepower).

R888R (now reaching 40HC), cheap BC racing coilovers, minimal aero, solid brakes, -3camber fr, -2camber rear.

I found myself trail braking into every turn, getting the rear to slide but controllable (not tail-out drifting), pointing to the apex, getting on the gas earlier, continuing a minimal slide to trackout, and hitting the gas hard. It was turn after turn. On occasion, I would come in about 2-3mph faster into the turn, and she would plow, so I knew the limit and stayed on it.

I've seen other lesser powered Z4s do some amazing times on this track with 3.0si or S54 power, so this all comes down to setup in my opinion.

- Would you say that I'm just at the limit of the car itself in its current state? - Without going to slicks, would you also say that any more adjustments is only going to net me minimal returns? Could there be another 2-3 seconds to gain considering I spend almost no time coasting, and am either on brakes or on gas, running the school-taught line.

Don't get me wrong, I'm having a blast sliding this thing around Would be nice to get some feedback on our Z4 platform on where she just can't do anymore because not-race-car.