Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 BMW Z4 3.0I

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakyDog View Post
Found this on another Z4 forum:

If the player doesn't recognize a disk it goes through endless retries ignoring all user input. The trick is to get the player back into its inactive state. The procedure is simple yet time consuming... Open the car, get in, close the door, make sure you have some snacks and toys... don't do anything with the car from that point on and after about 15 minutes the iBus will go back to sleep mode. Then, switch the ignition to position 1 and *immediately*, before the system has had a chance to boot up, press the eject button. The import part is to let the iBus go to sleep, so don't open/close doors, windows, turn on the ignition, etc. etc. or it will re-awake. This trick works for both the head-unit's CD drive and the nav computer's DVD drive.

[ Another method would be to disconnect the battery, reconnect, and then before the system has booted press the eject button. You won't be fast enough running from the boot/trunk to the head-unit after reconnecting the leads, so this method only works with 2 people. Also... disconnecting and reconnecting the battery lead and the voltage spikes that causes are prone to frying the dvd drive that's in your nav computer. This is therefor not the preferred method. ]

The battery disconnect method messed up my computer so that the top would no longer retract or raise along with other minor malfunctions. It cost me $130 for the BMW stealership to re-program the system. I did not know about the potential for that problem. CD player still doesn't eject!! Should have connected a battery tender before removing the terminals. Anyway I've tried all other suggestions. Could have jut replaced the radio in the 1st place. Cheaper in the long run.

Thanks to all for your suggestions!!!
Appreciate 0