View Single Post
      05-23-2020, 04:03 AM   #8
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3002 tii View Post
Always wondered if the rear brace was overkill, wonder if there’s a noticeable difference.
I think regarding the stock rear brace strongstrut plays down the strenght of the stock brace pretty much.
I once bent my rear brace because somehow I managed to break my rear diff bolt in full acceleration (when that happens the diff slams on the left brace and all the wheeltorque is put down on that bar), and it was not that easy to bend it back.

I had to wedge/fix the bent end on one side (i think I clamped it under one of my autolift levers) and stand with my full weight on the other side and hop a bit to bend it back carefully bit by bit. (I didn't want to use my workshop press as that gives a high pressure point, I wanted a gradual force, so made the lever setup)

Also the stock one is braced in the middle to the chassis and the strongstrut one doesn't; Strongstrut jokes about it, but if it works it works: it means the bmw ones are probably considerably lighter, and on a sportscar, every pound you can save is a win in my book.
So the stock brace is very thin walled (it's very light) but much stronger than one would think. So a pretty strong alloy is used imho.

So I'm not so sure who has the better design, I have some pretty strange experience with BMW's brace
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t

Last edited by GuidoK; 05-23-2020 at 04:14 AM..
Appreciate 0