View Single Post
      08-07-2020, 03:51 PM   #38
ynguldyn
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: battery powered tv on wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
As for efficiency, once range is acceptable for what I need, not sure why I care if one motor is more efficient. Refueling cost is irrelevant, performance for both is close. Going 0-60 in 3.5 seconds in my family SUV or 3.2 seconds?

You said Hyundai has the most efficient motors, not sure why the average buyer cares, hopefully range is better?
As drivetrains progress, the differentiation between them remains important for smaller and smaller groups of people. The improvement from 10s 0-60 to 6-7s is something almost anyone would appreciate. Comparing two cars with one capable of 3s and the other only 4s is only meaningful to the few among us who properly race (or the slightly larger group of morons who think public roads are their racetracks). The progress between the first pair of numbers was a hard slog of gradual ICE improvements over decades. This is why everyone and their grandma cares about cylinders, turbochargers, rpms, and transmission gears. Tesla engineers looked at all that, said "haha" and gave us drivetrains that do more than 99% of the population could dream about. Other EV manufacturers followed suit. All the dick measuring contests of rpms and hps are now pointless, the cars just do everything you ask them to, conversation over.
Appreciate 2