View Single Post
      12-09-2017, 01:04 PM   #19
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z View Post
As a mechanical engineer, I can say that this was clearly done to simplify manufacturing and reduce its cost. But it failed to address the impact on long term viability of the pump. I suspect that some factory bean counter had a study done to determine that while a high failure rate was likely, most failures would occur outside the warranty period with the repair cost borne by the customer.
Yes its done to make the roof install easier in the factory (it goes in as a complete unit).
But the real reason/cause the pump fails is not the location but the clogging of the draining holes. If they dont get clogged (by debris from trees and whatnot) there is no issue.

I have no idea what will be 2nd on the list to fail if drain holes get clogged. At one point that cavity has to overflood if the clogging continues and it keeps raining . Loads of other electric units in that area that can suffer damage; ULF, CD changer, speakers etc.

I wonder if the frequent clogging of those drain channels is due to that strange rubber grommet that sits on the underside of those channels.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 0