Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeD4Mr View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethan9273 View Post
hmm, thought a bbk with some type of OEM Wheel would have been a more popular mod to get feedback on.
Just my observation.

If one springs for BBK, that's a $5k+ mod easily depending on brands plus further consumables. The M brakes are sufficient for spirit drives and occasional track duty until you starting to drive 6/10 and above consistently.

For $2k+, you get the best bang for the buck to swap out the boat anchor OE wheel for a lighter set and better looks/wider track etc. Lighter wheel are one of easiest to install/uninstall/sell and preferred mod for most people.

So for most, they will change wheels before BBK and if they get a BBK, they don't usually stay with heavy OE wheels.

Unless one do BBK for show then wheels will still attract more eye balls per surface area per second than BBK.

IMHO.
Stock brakes lack the same precise linear feel of a BBK, yet add a good pad like Stoptech Street Performance, or PFC-08 and top shelf racing fluid and they're pretty darn good.

I ran a ST-40 setup front/rear for a couple of seasons, then swapped back to stock. (My lucky wife got the ST-40s.) It's way easier to change pads on the ST-40, but aside from that, I really didn't find they slowed me down that much, fade, or limit my ability to trail brake. Trail braking is a bit trickier but the PFC-08 helps a lot imo.

I'm not the fastest person (about 1.46/47) at Laguna but by no means slow. With ducting I think you could still run faster with oem w/o issues even on track like Laguna that aren't especially "brake friendly".

Now lighter wheels and good tires...those definitely affect lap times and handling and comfort on the street.

That's a long way of saying I agree lighter wheels > BBK for performance.
Appreciate 0