View Single Post
      05-24-2019, 08:57 AM   #1
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

VIN Stickers

If this has been asked before I apologize in advance. I searched on "VIN", "VIN Sticker", and "Stickers" and didn't find an answer...

I recently worked on a friend's 2007 silver Z4 3.0si Roadster, to replace the Bank 1 Sensor lambda probe. I noticed that his car has stickers on the bolt flange of the front fender about halfway down next to the middle mounting bolt, across from the strut mount. I didn't look at them closely, and they looked faded, but I assumed they were VIN stickers. He bought his car18 months ago used from a BMW dealer.

My Z4 is a black 2008 Z4 3.0si Coupe and has no such stickers on the fenders. And I never noticed them when I bought the car used from CarMax in December 2014. I have the original CarMax pics, which I just checked as I was writing this... There is only one pic of under the hood and there is no sticker on the right fender. But in December 2018, I hit a deer and had the right fender replaced, so I was thinking the BMW Certified shop didn't replace the sticker. As far as I know the left fender is original, but it could have been replaced at some point too prior to my ownership.

So my questions are: What are the stickers for? Do the 2007's and down have them only? Or, do the Roadsters only have them?

Can anyone shed some light?

TIA
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0