View Single Post
      06-03-2015, 10:40 AM   #8
UntzUntzUntz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 M2 Comp

Thank you guys for your reply I really appreciate it.

Looks like the biggest challenge is going to be the electronics and the C word... Cost. Let's not mention the C word right now it brings chills down my spine just thinking about it.

Electronics is probably the hardest part in these types of builds. Not to mention tuning afterwards which I can imagine taking a year to perfect. It's a challenge but I think that's what drives me to do it. Oh god I know this feeling right now. It's my brain telling me "the hell is wrong with you!!" and my guts whispering "cmon, just try one PSI of boost"

To answer your question, Pokey, I haven't driven a supercharged z4 yet but I have driven other FI cars that break traction on 3rd and sometimes 4th gears. Stupid fast but man does that put a smile to your face and liquids in your pants. Honestly, that's kind of my goal... not really a death sentence of +1,000whp but instead projecting more than 650whp. And you're right about losing what makes these cars so unique. Which is not my intent but is something to consider before sacrificing something great like that. Thank you, didn't think of that.

Beedub that's super low miles!! rod bearings should be upgraded on any s54 over 90k miles. I've seen some cars with bearings issues around the same miles my car currently has, 50k. Pretty much a given.

This has been on my mind because I still have my old e39 528i just collecting dust. Never sold it because it's worth far more than $2,500 for me. Very reliable car I can daily drive. That being said, I can afford the time to put this as a long term project. And let's mention the C word again, cost would be menacing but taking it slow would help. With access to a lift, wholesalers, friends, family, and contacts being in the mechanic and body business, it gives an advantage to pull this off without pulling off an arm and a leg.

Man it sucks to be in the most expensive hobby.

Oh and a few things I want to touch on, how's the fuel delivery on our cars? Would the pump or injectors handle the output? And besides for the engine, I've heard we have pretty solid transmissions but it won't be necessary to upgrade anything more than a performance clutch/flywheel kit on them, correct? And finally, how's the VANOS reacting with all this? Would the bolts just give out at any given time?

Last edited by UntzUntzUntz; 06-03-2015 at 02:02 PM..
Appreciate 0