Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: ESS/G-Power Z4M, VF Z4, 996tt

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
Have you ever driven a supercharged Z4M (serious question)? Traction is a problem until 3rd or 4th gear, depending on tires and outside air temps.

There is no issue pushing the S54 to 500+ whp. These engines are fuel quality limited up to a point. The issue isn't even in getting a stand alone to work. It's getting all the other gadgets to work with a stand alone.

Mike Essa's drift car was an S54 turbo swapped into a 2.5i. Of course it wasn't street legal, and hardly any Z4 mechanicals were left. But it worked for what he wanted it to do. To have a car like that on the street... well, it's a waste of money, as it ditches a lot of the OEM BMWness that makes these cars special.

Have you ever owned a forced induction vehicle? Was it heavily modified? I'm of the opinion that reliability is the most important aspect, and I would gladly leave 50 horsepower for a 100% turn key solution that had been extensively tested and behaved like stock. I've been on both ends - sold a kit with all kinds of bugs, and bought cars/kits that were totally sorted. After a while, having the car stall in the cold, act funky under certain conditions, throw lean/rich codes, etc. burns you out, and you start to question why you aren't being paid for your time or use of your vehicle as a test car.

A turbo kit would be nice, but the price of entry just isn't worth it IMHO.

VF Engineering Z4 3.0i, ESS Z4M, G-Power Z4M, 996 Turbo
Appreciate 0