View Single Post
      07-20-2011, 03:41 AM   #8
CobraR1339
Private
Rep
Drives: M Coupe SG

The C5 Zo5 on Nittos runs 1:33's on Hoosiers 1:29's - 1;31, at Big WIllow a friend who has more guts than me , turned a 28 the same day in crappy tires and has run a 26 in a c5 Zo6.

The Boss was has such a cushy seat it like getting a massage. What a nice package. Fake alcantra steering wheel actually feels soo good. The car however feels real big at first, then you realize you can toss it around. Gets smaller the more you drive it. Would easily buy it as a track car over and M3 at $20k more. The Ford guys planned for a of track junkie stuff vs. BMW. So its easier and cheaper to mod to go faster.Not as pretty though. I only did half a session in it. You get comfortable quick. No track key yet so time will tell. I will do laps with track key tuning when available.

I did not drive the Boss as hard so a 1:39 is not nearly what the car can do. Google top lap times motor trend at Laguna Seca, it speaks for itself, out runs and Audi R8 there.It is listed as the 6th fast car motor trend ever tested at LS. I ran faster than the Mags did at LS in my C5Z on stock tires and was .67 secs slower than the reported Boss times. The Boss had really good tires and the test driver this round I know kicks my butt.

The problem with Mag data is not the same driver and not the same conditions. Andy Pilgrim ( Le Mans C5R driver) got pissed over a 1:40 lap time for a stock C5 Z06 at Willow. So he rented the track and did a bone stock time of 1:29ish, On crap goodyear eagles, same car as the test car. Caesar was a bit miffed. That says a lot for drivers. I still can't figure out how the heck he did that. He must have zero fear in 8-9. Other than that , I pedal the thing all out everywhere else. Every 1 mph exit speed is worth .20 per lap here , from what i hear.

I would not magazine race a car too much.

I still like the M Coupe, but at Big Willow it becomes a momentum car. Was in the 5 fastest cars of the day out of 35 or so, not bad at all. At Button willow it should shine in So cal tracks. I really like that track, normally the S2000 and Evo AWD rules here. But I think the M will hang and surprise if i can get strapped in.

Brad the guy i mentioned, is turning some really good times at both track with NASA in a 07 MC. That gives me some real inspiration. I bought the car to fill a void and it is a fantastic car. Really fun to out run the GT3's and all but a couple M3's , a Zo6 and a GTR with mods. But a large part of that is experience. Have never driver either of those cars on a track. Will get a stock GTR ride soon though,.

You don't have to be the big dog to have a good time. PTW and seat time are king IMO. Drivers being equal PTW wins every time. Everyone is different. The MC and MR are just plain fun to drive cars. Real man's sports cars. Solid lifter sound, notchy gearbox, great torque for the chassis. What's not to like. Buy one for $30ish today and make guys spending $70-$100 re think their purchase, now that is interesting.

The M is still a pure classic, cross between a mini Daytona couple and X type Jag. I really do see these on the grass at Pebble Beach in 25-30years. Nothing will ever look like it again. We are driving a car Steve Mc Queen would have in his stable. God rest his soul. This will be Bangle's reprise IMO.
Appreciate 0