Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekaliber View Post
Finnegan, when did you get an STI?

I've been away from the boards a bit (mostly to avoid torturing myself, since I can't drive the M). That all changes soon!

I've been hooked since my first track day last year as well. Already signed up for the first DE of the year with our local BMWCCA chapter.
We, like you, are hooked. Lucid warned us about this last year, and the instuctors said about 30% of people end up more or less hooked. I can't remember when I've had that much fun and all I can think about is the next time out (April 1).

Bought it more or less by accident at the end of last year. That's what you get when you run by the dealership to get a lightbulb I guess (no, I'm not joking). I really need to stay away from car dealerships....

It's the "limited edition" w/o the giant wing, full leather, more sound insulation, etc. (the "old person's STI"). With the Cayman S and the Z4M we really needed a four seater, and my 95 GSR 4 door wasn't something that you'd want to take on a long trip or out in bad weather (it leaked). It was a good deal, and with some M+S all season tires and AWD works well in the wet and snow (taking it to Tahoe for example).

Honestly, I can't really justify having three cars at this point from a long-term financial perspective, and the Cayman will probably need to go (most expensive to feed and care for). The Z4M is a keeper, so it stays, no questions on that!

The Scooby is super-cheap to modify as parts are cheap due to the huge market and repairs are pretty cheap too. A some more negative camber (darn stock setting on the STI are a mere -.3) and ARBs and it should help handling and we'll have two cars that met our needs.

I'm going to take the Cayman to the track the next time and see how that goes and reserve my final decision until then. But it's going to be really hard to justify three cars when two will do. Money can go to savings and investments and--wait for it--more track days and associated expenses (R3 equipment, instruction, seat time, tires, brakes, maintenance)!
Appreciate 0