View Single Post
      08-14-2009, 12:19 PM   #14
JCz04Bimmer
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
There's a NIGHT AND DAY difference between the two chassis. What works for E46 M3 does not work for the MZ4 C.

1. MZ4 C is significantly shorter than the E46 M3. 98.3" vs 107.3". 9 inches may not seem like a lot, but it is nearly 10% shorter. Meaning the polar moment of inertia is much easier to overcome in the MZ4 C.

2. MZ4 C is significantly LIGHTER than the E46 M3. 3,250 lbs vs. 3,425 lbs. Almost 200 lbs lighter with the same power and torque means the polar moment of inertia is much easier to overcome in the MZ4 C.

3. MZ4 C suspension is not the same as the E46 M3. The front struts are designs carried over from the E36 M3, which results in slightly less front wheel/tire clearance compared to the E46 M3 (stock for stock).

4. MZ4 C rear ///M variable Limited Slip Differential is "tuned" to send more power to the outside wheel quicker than the ones on the E46 M3, making the MZ4 C's tendency to rotate much quicker.

All factors conspire against non-staggered set-up for the MZ4 C in my opinion. And even with just a 10mm less stagger than stock, my MZ4 C tend to have a little too much squirming in the rear (stock suspension still) in really tight corners. Going squared would mean I would have to be very judicious with my throttle application AND be up on my car control skills much more than I'd like to be.
Interesting. I have never driven an E46 M3 around a track but I do find the Z4MC to be quite "squirmy" (as you put it) in tighter corners. Makes sense, now that I'm reading your post.

I may just have to go with a 265F and 285R set up.

What are your thoughts on that? Other than the fact that on the street tram-lining will make me want to take a bus...