View Single Post
      11-26-2019, 02:20 AM   #12
2skiddy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe

I must add, the shell came all painted and panelled up on the trolley dolly from Munich, credit for that goes to BMW Motorsport and their suppliers, but also Schnitzer, that painted and assembled it. You could at the time, buy a shell with absolutely nothing on it, and I mean nothing, not even paint! There were a couple available, one was offered to me from possibly a Petronas contact, but was very expensive and I would have to start from scratch. That shell has subsequently been sold and painted grey, and is/was in the UK. I am sure the owner will be in contact on here soon? All the carbon panels were available from BMW at the time, these are not Flossman BTW, but another manufacturer, who will NOT deal with you directly!!! Many panels are still on stock, and yes they are expensive, but they do fit. The panels that are not in stock, can still be made after a long wait. My diffuser was the last one they had, when I ordered the shell.

My shell had been in the storage facility for a few years, it was envisaged that it would be needed as a replacement for a heavily damaged car, but it never happened. Time moves on and the newer E89 beast took over, making the E86 a bit obsolete. This was good news, as Motorsport eventually let me have the shell after lengthy negotiation, realising I was not treading on any race team toes!

Taking delivery was over 6 years ago, so please bear with me when I try and recall everything, roughly in chronological order.
It was exciting getting the shell, I will always remember that! The project had just begun.
Mr Wolfgang Broesel, at BMW Motorsport, was extremely helpful in sorting out all the parts that I subsequently needed, which was a challenge, as the catalogue is not the best, with some errors and many omissions. I had to rely heavily on photos to support identification.
FWIW there are only around 11 or 12 E86 VLN cars, each one is a little bit different, and I wanted mine to be a bit more different.
Appreciate 2
Vanne1620.50