View Single Post
      11-17-2017, 06:56 PM   #32
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

A few things, for those of you who haven't started installing.

You get ONE SHOT at the install. These 3M tape ain't coming off easily. You screw up, you're in it for 2 hours of cleaning. So measure, measure, and MEASURE again. I ended up with a bunch of blue painters tape on the car, with one defining the centerline using laser levels and the hatch roundel as the guide. As it turns out, the car is ever so slightly higher on one side, and the end result is by the time I'm measuring the centerline on the top of the hatch I'm off by about 1/8". When I laid down the spoiler with just 1/8" off center, I noticed that one side rose up much higher than the other. Took me about half dozen dry fits to find the perfect alignment.

You can butt the spoiler right up on the hatch, and there's definitely a small window where the corner, the back, and everything just sort of falls in line and it lays nearly perfectly flat. What worked for me was finding that perfect centerline of the hatch, using the two screw holes as guide and finding the centerline of the spoiler, getting both to line up, taping down the spoiler with painter's tape, then mark the two corners of the spoiler with painter's tape for perfect alignment. Then lay down the 3M double sided tape (with the adehsion promoter) on the spoiler. I took JonM's tip and added additional tape on the tips side (doubled up rows of tape, about 5 rows), and I double row'ed the leading edge of the spoiler just in case with tape.

YOU GET ONE SHOT AT THIS. Once you lay this down it's not coming off easily. Or ever, since I also put adhesion promoters on the hatch side. As soon as I lay it down, I knew it wasn't coming off. And I was glad that I went over, measure and measured and measured again. I laid the tip of my index finger on the corner of the spoiler, then aligned my finger tip with where I marked the edge with painter's tape, then slowly rotated the spoiler down without moving the tip of my index finger. It was a huge sigh of relief when the spoiler touched down on the hatch and it lined up perfectly all around. Zero margin. The bottom of the spoiler look like it just blends right into the hatch with no room to spare.

The end result speaks for itself. I'm about 85% convinced that I went the right route with painting the spoiler. It looks like it should have come from the factory like this.
Attached Images

Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 3