Rep
Drives: 08 Z4M Coupe

Garage List
test test  [0.00]
2008 BMW Z4MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalko43 View Post
Hello all.

I've been a 2013 335is owner and active member of the e90 forum for some time. I'm getting ready to sell my 335is (it's been my dd for the past 1.5 years). I need something more practical for winter driving up here in upstate NY.

So my decision to sell the 335is will be two-fold: get a suitable 4wd winter car; and get a nice track day car.

I've looked around for something that is affordable and still offers good performance. The Z4m Coupe and e46 M3 have stuck out in that regard. I'm familiar with the layout, specs for both, but I had some specific questions on the Z4m's capabilities:

1) I've heard of oversteer being more prevalent in the Z4m than in the e46. IS this true? If so why and how do people here deal with it?

2) I know the Z4m uses many of the same engine parts as the e46, but also has different exhaust and suspension and chassis parts. Will costs for maintenance and potential upgrades be the same between the 2?

3) Which one (between e46 and Z4m) handles better on the track. I've heard that the Z4m is stiffer, does that it make it better for track performance?

4) Is the stock Hp/ torque sufficient for track use? 330 HP is not a lot nowadays. My 335is only has 320 HP, but it also has 332lb-ft and 370lb-ft overboost, which more than made up for the lack of peak HP.

5) Any common maintenance issues that I should be aware of as I look to purchase a z4m?

I've read through these forums a bit, so i have some understanding of this car. I just wanted to hear any direct feedback from people who track this thing.

As you have gathered, many people have tracked their Z4s, myself included with few regrets.

That being said, they are different animals.

Stock, the Z4M does like snap oversteer if not handled appropriately. This is primarily due the short wheelbase, and stock suspension settings. The E46 is a more neutral car.

Suspension settings, if not new suspension +/- wheels/tires will correct most of the issues. Getting the back end to come around a bit with lift throttle oversteer or power oversteer can easily be used as an advantage in slow corners if you are comfortable with the car and expect it.

As far as the cost of upgrades go, the Z4 will be on par, if not a tad more expensive to upgrade owing the fewer options. (lower production numbers)
That being said, there are a good number of options for the Z4, regardless of which route you choose to proceed.

With regard to the HP, it depends on what you are planning to do, HPDE, time trials, hillclimb, autocross etc...

Its not all about horsepower, a good driver will be able to extract a lot out of the car in stock form. Throw some decent tires, track pads, and the car comes alive.

Personally, I've probably done too much to my car, but I have no problem keeping up to and dispatching 991 Carrera S on R comps, C5 ZO6 R-comps,
even a V8 Audi R8 driven by an instructor, this is while keeping the car N/A.

As far as maintenance goes, its pretty similar with the two having issues with rod bearings and VANOS bolts on the S54. After those are taken care of, I am not aware of too many issues. (fingers crossed)

With similar mods, the same driver may be able to turn slightly quicker lap times with the E46. That being said, I wouldn't trade my car for most anything. Its relative rarity, the way it sits, the way that you feel when driving it cannot be beat. Its early December, and I already can't wait to hit the tarmac early spring!

honestly, you wont go wrong with either....

That being said, there have been more than a few Z4M forum folks that ended up trading up to a different BMW model only to sell it, and get back into the Z4!

I hope that helps
Appreciate 0