View Single Post
      07-26-2019, 08:24 PM   #5
Michael9218
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

Well, first of all, I'm not a fan of a prefab cage. This one in particular. I see many issues with this cage. I feel you would be better off finding a good cage designer/builder and working with him on what you want. There's no reason you can't design a cage that can be added to later if you do decide to go racing. Too many cages I've seen over the years have bars that serve no purpose. Clearly added by people who don't understand the physics involved. More bars mean more weight. The E86 is also a very stiff/strong chassis. What is needed in an E46 may not be needed in an E86 for example (such as footwell protection). My particular cage is designed to be added to later if I choose. Perhaps take a look at it again and see if you gain any ideas.

A caged car should not be driven on the road. They are meant to be driven while you're wearing a helmet. Car interiors are designed with soft head friendly materials. Cage bars aren't.

Installing a full cage is very invasive. Best done when the car is stripped down to the bare chassis. More so than a half cage.

I sense you are eager to make more modifications such as the wide body kit and now a cage. If you really think you will go racing in the near future, be mindful of the rules. If you really just want to build the car for fun (which I totally get) and see where it goes, than design a cage (full or half) that you feel comfortable with and don't get hung up on what a "proper" cage looks like.
Appreciate 0