View Single Post
      09-05-2017, 02:08 PM   #90
Mr. Monday
Rep
Drives: Z4C 3.0si 6mt

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
Nice to see this build coming along. Great stuff.

The mods that appear to be required to the headers make me a bit bummed. If I ever imagined doing this in California and ending up with a street legal (and DMV referee approved car) the exhaust system would need to be 100% stock with zero modifications for it to pass. <grumble>
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloTheGod View Post
There is no need to modify any of the exhaust components except for the shape of the headers. You can use the iceengineworks kit to rebuild the driver side bank of headers so that it fits in the car more easily. You can still have your secondary catalytic converts and if you desire you can add ones just off the headers as well. You could even cut the ones off the S54 headers and weld them onto the ends of the S65 headers.
I was planning on doing this swap in CA so CARB approval is important to me as well. Can anyone chime in on whether it would be possible to pass the referee with slightly modified headers with all the stock catalytic converters?

I have heard of shops putting rotator joints in the steering assembly to get around headers on engine swaps, this may be the only option, which is unfortunate because it adds extra play to the steering.

I have the 3L version with EPS, do you think the e90 m3 steering rack from the donor car would fit in the z4 coupe?
Appreciate 0