View Single Post
      06-30-2018, 01:26 PM   #18
dc_wright
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z43.0si Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dschultz View Post
Good to know. I’ve run the Hankooks and Direzza’s, too. Both with better wear than the RE-71s, but the grip of those tires is addicting! I think I may give the Falken Azenis 615Ks a try. Can’t beat the price and it’s time to spend money on track time instead of tires.
The RE71s are one lap wonders on the track but once you get them hot they really give up grip quickly, and they heat cycle out pretty quickly too. The RS4s get just as grippy as the RE71s once you get them up to temp and if you have the pressures high enough. I ran them for most of last season for autocross and got to spend a bit of time experimenting on a skid pad. At any pressure below 38 psi they weren't very good. Once they were warmed up they came alive with pressures in the 40-41 psi range.
The problem with them for autocross was not being able to get them hot enough for them to be in their optimum range. The couple of times I ran with a codriver we both saw a significant increase in grip around the 6th cumulative run and times dropped significantly from there on.
I run a cold pressure of 36 psi for track days which nets 40-41 psi once they're warmed up and they just get better and better as the session goes on.