View Single Post
      05-08-2019, 05:48 PM   #1
CTMP4me
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '08 Z4MC, '71 240Z with S54

Custom mounts for Bimmerworld Ultralight GT Carbon wing

I picked this particular wing with the intention of running it just below the top of roofline and at a low angle of attack. Around 4 degrees AoA, it should produce both decent downforce and relatively little drag as compared to a smaller twisted wing like the APR GTC250 producing same downforce at much more aggressive AoA.

The wing is 66" wide, with uprights 41" apart - quite different from the typical APR GTC250 so using APR mounts was out of the question. Location of hatch mounting points was chosen with consideration to where the hatch can physically fit a 10"x2" base plate and to keep the uprights as vertical as possible.

The basic design idea was to have (1) a mounting point on the hatch that conforms to hatch's complex surface curve and spreads out the load over a large area and (2) a simple upright cut from flat 3/8" aluminum sheet that would bolt to the side of the base plate and to the wing's mount points above. The base plate that interfaces with hatch was machined from a block of aluminum. This iteration can benefit from making the solid uprights into a truss to lose weight, but overall, the mounts feel extremely solid under both vertical and side loads, even if they do look a bit prototype-y with mismatched hardware

Shoutout to inTgr8r and FDF Race Shop for the front aero package and aluminum splitter / tray / skid plate - they work very well in combination.

If you want the CAD files for getting your own pedestals / uprights machined, PM me.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Azeka1284.50
Mirko182.00