08-01-2019, 09:37 PM   #4
Residentj3553
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW Z4M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael9218 View Post
When you timed the cams, how did you make sure the vanos pistons were fully retracted?

The Biesan procedure doesn't mention this, but just pulling on the cams to push the pistons didn't get them all the way in for me. My car ran fine but eventually threw a cam timing code (no limp mode). I cracked it open to check and both were about 6 degrees retarded.

The way it was explained to me is that the pistons have some air pressure in them after you do the full rebuild. One should loosen the piston caps and allow air to escape when you do the initial cam timing. Also us the OEM timing tool. The various cheap ones are sloppy and can also give inaccurate results.
You are absolutely right! My exhaust piston was not fully in and exhaust cam was a bit off. Will report back when valve cover is put back on.
Thanks a ton michael.
Mods: ProFlex E85 Flexfuel kit, Eventuri Carbon Intake w/ RPI scoop, Megan Headers, Custom Axle-back exhaust, KW V3 Coilovers, Stoptech ST40 BBK, Poly FCABs, APEX PS-7s, Diode Dynamics Headlights, CF Trunk Spoiler, Sideskirts & Diffuser.
Appreciate 0